Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Cloudfoundry experience

I finally decided to follow up on my "Congratulations, You have been signed up with Cloudfoundry" email and see if I can go flying in the cloud. I looked at the help doc and started following along.
You'd have to install ruby and ruby gems, unless you opt for the STS plugin. The Cloudfoundry's deploy tool vmc is a gem so the first thing I did was "gem install vmc" as per the help doc.

After that I went on to deploying my hello world grails app. Attached is a screen shot of my dos session:



And sure enough the world's best online donkeys supermarket can be found at:

http://onlinedonkeys.cloudfoundry.com

I didn't have to install a database, I didn't have to write code to talk to a proprietary data source (hint, hint...GAE). It all just magically worked. Thumbs up!

I like the fact that it gives you three options for database - MongoDB and redis besides MySQL.
It also automatically detected that I wanted to deploy a Grails app.
You can also deploy Rails, Node, Sinatra, Spring Roo and JavaWeb.
Happy clouding!

2 comments:

  1. onlinedonkeys ... man, you are creative.
    nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, just let me know if you need a good deal on a donkey. I will hook you up! :)

    ReplyDelete