Saturday, November 20, 2010

Git vs SVN

Played with Git this morning. Maybe I just don't know enough about it yet, but my initial thoughts are "I don't really get what that 'Git' rave is about". It doesn't really seem more intuitive from SVN - I had to add, ...then commit, ...then push. I think what makes it so popular is github. The ease of use and intuitive interface of this one popular Git hosting web site, makes this SCM tool successful. Github did slow me down a bit though, with its ssl certs - had to figure out how to create them, where to put them, etc. To be fair they do have a pretty nice help section that walked me through it. Maybe I will use github after all to host my new multi-billion dollar application, just because it is free and not hard to use....

4 comments:

  1. Playing with "GIT' on a Saturday morning... I am disappointed with you, this means you didn't stay out long enough after our soccer game on Friday... I also assume that since you are comparing with SVN, you are talking about developer tools... Although GITHUB sounds like something even kinkier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to one of my greatest Agile Web Development coaches of all time George Dinwiddie I realized I didn't have this blog opened to anyone. Here it is testing it as anyone :). And, KMan, Yes, it was a 6 pm game,and some certain someone did not show up => early Friday evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Boyko I just found out about your blog pretty cool I will have to have an rss feed to it so that i can be notified....specially with this multi billion dollars apps of yours hook me up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, mi amigo, I just noticed you commented. I have to figure out how to make the thing email me when someone comments. Muchas gracias though!

    ReplyDelete